Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mission Accomplished!

All 607 pages. Finished. Quite an accomplishment for me. Yes, I know some of you finished it on Saturday afternoon, but for me, doing 607 pages in 3 days is quite impressive already. So of course, one can't help but discuss the book. So, for the benefit of those who have not read the book, I will use a lighter font (can't find the exact colour to match the background!) to type my thoughts so that those who are really interested can read them. Oh yah, if you are gonna use my tag board to say something related to the plot, please start with *spoiler* as a courtesy to those who have not read the book and who don't want to know the story. So here goes:

**** SPOILERS ****
Severus Snape
I guess I half expected Snape to be the bad guy. That was obviously why JK Rowling had that discussion in the beginning between Snape and the two women; to cast doubt as to whether Snape was really serving Voldemort or serving Dumbledore. Of course, I was kinda irritated when someone posted on my Tag that Snape was the obvious bad guy before I even finished half the book....

Dumbledore Dead?
Hmm, if you ask me, I don't think so. The ending with the phoenix, the white tomb, etc, kinda hints that he'll be back. So, my bet is he's gonna resurrect some how.

Teenage Angst
I think JK Rowling tried too hard to make Harry and his school mates more grown-up. While i have nothing against it, I found it out-of-place that suddenly there are all these 'rude hand gestures' begin shown here and there. I felt it didn't seem to flow well with how they had been portrayed in previous books.

BGR
haha.. I guess JK Rowling had to show that Harry, Ron and Hermoine are all full-blooded teenagers. All the kissing and hugging and longing... haha.. a little overboard lar.

Half-blood Prince
Haha.. I guess when it was revealed that Snape was the half-blood prince, the title of the book made plenty of sense. I'll admit that I didn't guess that Snape was the prince. So I thought that was a neat little revelation.

Better than Book 5?
Kinda hard to decide. To be frank, compared to the first 4 books, I have very little impression of the Order of the Phoenix. I think I'm gonna re-read that soon. Perhaps then Book 6 will make more sense. Comparatively, I think books 1 to 4 are better than 5 and 6. If I really had to choose, I'm inclined to think that book 6 is a little more interesting than 5. But then again, after I re-read it, I might change my ming.

Movie
I think this is gonna be a really difficult book to make into a movie. There are so many flashbacks so the movie would be one long history lesson. But I guess the ending, starting from when Dumbledore and Harry enter the Cave to his death would make for pretty heart-pumping action. I can picture a pretty exciting fight between the teachers/students and the Death Eaters. But Daniel Radcliffe & company will probably be too old to play Harry Potter by then. Wonder who they'll get to replace them. It's gonna be hard to find good replacements. After all, all the actors have already left strong impressions of how each character should look. Can you imagine anyone but Daniel Radcliffe acting as Harry? Kinda difficult.

No comments: