Thursday, July 07, 2005

IOC thoughts

Today, the most important thing happening in our little red dot called Singapore is of course the IOC thing. So, I would of course like to contribute my opinions which I guess isn't that relevant to anyone cause I doubt anyone in the IOC organising committee will read it. But oh well, that's the joy of blogging rite?

So, I thought having the IOC in Singapore is quite exciting. I wished I could have camped out at Raffles City so that I could catch a glimpse of the VIPs and stars. But I still have a job to do, so no chance of doing that.

I was a kinda disappointed with the Opening Ceremony. Firstly, I think the emcees (esp the female one) were really bad. They had no chemistry and the female emcee was obviously overwhelmed by the VVIP audience. Quite a sad display of our emcee-ing skills. The next shocker was the National Anthem. Personally, I respect Jacintha as a singer. But I think asking her to do the National Anthem in a jazzy-laid back style was plain WRONG. It sounded terrible! I wonder what the audience thought as they heard the weird version of our anthem. I think a full choir singing it in full force would have been wonderful and grand. Instead, what we did was a night-club/lounge version of our anthem. Really embarassing. Finally, I was also kinda disappointed that they didn't even show the whole opening ceremony (with performances) over Channelnewsasia. I was hoping to watch more than just the speeches. Quite a let down when the performances began and the telecast stopped. 'BOO' to CNA for not doing a full telecast.

This morning, I only managed to catch 5 mins of Paris' presentation. I would have loved to watch every single presentation. It's not every day/month/year that we get to view such excellent presentations by the various countries. I think there was much we could have learnt. I think it would have been wonderful if students were allowed to watch and maybe discuss/evaluate the presentations. This would be a real-world lesson for all. Maybe (though I think highly unlikely) CNA will show all the presentations again some time.

London winning? Aiya, I guess I don't really have any strong feelings for or against them. Just kinda sad to hear that Paris had tried and failed three times to host the games! Quite poor thing. It would also have been interesting if Moscow won. Their idea of a river transportation system was quite innovative & unique.

Well, the decision's made and Singapore's 5 mins of fame (ok lar.. closer to 24 hours) is over. Back to reality.

No comments: