Friday, July 15, 2005

It's Open House tomorrow so there was plenty of activity going on this evening in school. I was helping to pack the packages in the meeting room. I must admit there was something strangely therapeutic about repetitive actions. It was basically take paper-take paper- take paper-take booklet- take brochure-file, then repeat and repeat and repeat. Quite mindless but uncannily enjoyable. I think the closest occupation I can think of that does this would be working in a photocopy shop! Sometimes, I do wonder how long I would last in a so-called mundane job like working in a photocopy shop. I know I often crave challenges, but maybe, just maybe, it would be fun to work in a less-exciting job. heh.

My grandfather (who has long passed on), used to own a coffee shop in the Yio Chu Kang area, near Upper Serangoon Shopping Centre. When I was a kid, I remember helping out in the coffee shop, taking orders, serving drinks, preparing chee-cheong-fun and selling paus. At that age, it was really quite fun. It was family-run, so we did everything from clearing the cups, serving the drinks, washing the cups and dishes and scrubbing the floor at 1am in the morning. I managed to 'help out' sometimes during the holidays. Maybe that's why I often have this urge to work in a Starbucks or Coffee Bean! Might be fun to bark out orders: "Grande Cafe Latte!" (with a fake american accent!).

Who knows, I might still be able to make my wish come true!

No comments: