Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Nausicaa at last

I've always loved reading comics, both english and chinese. Up to primary six, I read English Comics by DC and Marvel. Superman, Green Lantern, Spiderman, Archie... I usually went to the neighbourhood comic rental shop to rent them. As for chinese comics, they fell mainly into two types: Xiao Ding Dang (Doraemon) which I followed really religiously and Astroboy, which I got to read when I visited my cousins in Johor Bahru. In Secondary School, I kinda lost some interest in comics, though I still read them occasionally. I really got hooked again towards the end of JC, and that was when I started reading manga like Dragonball. One of my all time favourites is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

After reading the manga, I found out that there was a Anime version. I've tried to get hold of the English version but believe or not, I've been unsuccessful. Almost every trip I've made to the States would include a search at various video shops to see if I could find the movie. There's a japanese/chinese version available, but I really wanted to watch the English version. Why am I telling you all this? It's kinda hard to believe, but after almost 20yrs, I've finally watched the English version of Nausicaa. Walt Disney finally did a redub of the movie and released it barely a week ago. I pre-ordered it and finally received it yesterday. Tonight, I put almsot everything aside, sat down and enjoyed the movie. It was a pretty good movie. Although it only included about 2 volumes out of the 7 volume-manga, the animation was beautiful and the story was magical. Can't believe I've kept my interest in Nausicaa for so many years! Now, I'm gonna try and dig out the old comics and read through them again!

No comments: