Friday, March 11, 2005

Term 1: The End

This week went by really fast, thanks to the Sec 1 GE Camp, Track & Field Meet and all the other end of term stuff. As usual, it always seems that there is insufficient time for everything. I think we are simply people who are too busy. Oh well.

Monday was a 3/4 day holiday. I appreciated it. Thought it was great to take a break. Some of the teachers basically took the chance to have a long leisurely lunch and just forget about work for the rest of the day. I've not had much time for such chill-out sessions with the teachers this term. It always seemed to be one thing happening or another. So, this was a good time for us to just hang loose and be ourselves.

Tuesday to Thursday was Sec 1 GEP Camp. I must admit I went to the camp with mixed feelings. Last year, I was in charge of discipline, but this year, I wasn't asked to do it. Wasn't quite sure then if I should be actively involved in the discipline. Well, I decided that I should leave the discipline to the teachers who were assigned and try to enjoy myself. At first, it was a little hard. When the sec 1s were noisy, I was so tempted (out of habit) to stand up and ask them to shaddup... but I am proud to say I managed to subdue my habits and leave it to Mrs Neo and Mrs Maas. The main thing I was asked to help out with was the campfire. All in all, I think the campfire went quite well. It's still not the campfire which I think it should be, but it's better than the one I helped plan last year. I'll keep looking towards organising a really good campfire. Hope the sec 1s enjoyed the campfire. I thought the cheering competition and the dances were really fun. Kudos to the 8 Sec 4s who took the time to travel all the way to Sembawang to join the Sec 1s. To me, this was the best example of commitment.

The sec 1s are a really enthusiastic batch. And I must admit, the energy levels are really high. Some quick positive & negative points about this batch from this camp:

Positives:
1. enthusiastic (yep, I said this already)
2. energetic (ditto)
3. spontaneous
4. fun-loving
5. crazy about Carrot Juice is Murder

Negatives:
1. restless
2. doesn't listen when others talk (sigh... i really vomit blood with this point! esp in class too!)
3. many dun like veggies!
4. crazy about Carrot Juice is Murder

As for the Sec 3 PLs? I thought they did quite a good job. For one thing, I liked the fact that many of them did spend time talking to their groups, sharing their experiences and giving them advice. Yeah, some of them did walk the thin-line of almost tekaning the sec 1s, but I think they generally didn't cross it.

This is the 4th Sec 1 camp I've attended. First was Sec 1 camp 2004, second was sec 1 geo camp 2004, then sec 1 camp 2005 and now sec 1 gep camp 2005. I have never believed that you need to 'tekan' students to get their respect. I believe we should be strict. But I never supported this idea that students need to be subjected to constant punishment and humiliation then they will learn to be disciplined. Since I took over PM-ship and had a chance to make more of a difference, this was one of the things I set out to change. I know many senior boys don't like this change. But after these four camps where I gradually persuaded more people to accept this point, I am still convinced that what I believe is correct. I dun think that the Sec 1s who have undergone the 'tekan'-less camps were any less well-behaved than those who have. I know there are many senior boys who still disagree with me. But I hope this is one thing which I can leave behind when I leave RI.

No comments: