Thursday, March 24, 2005

Relief.

Yep, it's over. I survived. 4 hours. I'm still alive and breathing. PHEW. (a huge, huge, HUGE sigh of relief).

What's the big deal? Like I said yesterday, it's my first time training adults. First time training fellow colleagues. First time training people who are more senior than me, who are my superiors. As far as I am concerned, it's a big deal for me. Furthermore, this was the first time I am conducting The Leadership Challenge Workshop in its entirety, albeit in a compacted form. So, yes, it was certainly an extremely stressful time for me.

I stopped my preparation at about 2am last night. There was more I wanted to do, but I had to tell myself to stop or I wouldn't have enough sleep and hence energy to conduct the workshop. Falling asleep was not an easy task. Thoughts kept floating in and out of my mind concerning how the workshop would go. How would the teachers react? Would I be a bore? Would they think it was all a waste of time? Would I make big blunders? Do I really know what I was going to do? The questions flooded me as I tried to sleep. I had to make a conscious effort to think of other stuff, like green meadows and cows. Hey, I'm not joking, I really tried very hard to think about green meadows and cows. Eventually, I fell asleep.

The workshop started off not too badly. The teachers were extremely cooperative and participated willingly in the activities and discussions. It really helped to ease me into my role. As the minutes and hours went by, I found myself feeling more and more confident. And I really have the teachers to thank for that. They helped to make my job very very easy.

At the end of the day, I was relieved. Glad that it was over, but also glad that it went fairly smoothly, without any major hitches. I think the teachers generally enjoyed the workshop. I hope I"m not just bluffing myself. I guess I'll know better when they send in their feedback.

In all, it was quite an experience. Perhaps things will get easier from now on. At least I know for sure that I'm much better prepared to conduct the workshop for students in June.

I'm all ready for a good night's rest today. PHEW....

No comments: