Sunday, February 20, 2005

Woke up today at almost 10.30am. If I hadn't received a call, I probably would have slept all the way to 12 noon! Experts say it is not good to wake up differently on weekends and that we should keep to similar sleeping habits all the time. I dunno, I don't think there is gonna be enough arguments or incentives for me to wake up at 6.30am even on Saturdays and Sundays.

Tonight I had a CNY gathering with some teachers. It was quite fun. We brought food, chatted, watched tv, played with the children who were there... basically did normal, non-teacher things. The highlight for me was watching the Chingay parade on tv. Now, it's been years since I last watched the parade. I can't even count how long ago... maybe since my primary or secondary days? Anyway, we first started arguing about why the name 'CHINGAY'. We had serious answers like how it sounds like the chinese 'Chuang Yi' and we of course had the obligatory answers like 'it's a parade for chinese gays...', thanks to yours truly. :-)

Well, we had fun making fun of the floats, laughing at what we were watching, UNTIL we heard the commentator introduce that the next float was from RJC and RGS! We immediately fixed our eyes on the tv wondering if we would catch sight of any former students. At first, we were kinda disappointed at the dance... some kind of boxercise thing, then we were kinda glad that we saw only girls and did not spot any boys, then we saw some boys on the top of the float, but they were just doing some mock boxing but we couldn't really see their faces, so it kinda ok. But the greatest shock came at the end as the float and dancers were moving off, we caught sight of a few guys dancing at the back. I'm not against guys dancing, but I couldn't believe that the guys were wearing very costumes that were totally similar to the girls' with the flowing cloth at the hands and they were also dancing similar steps... I mean, couldn't they have gotten more guy-type costumes with more guy-type steps? Well, we didn't really recognise them coz the shot didn't linger too long (thankfully...) so I guess we'll accept that they weren't our former students for now.

I guess RJC must have been invited to send in helpers or something. Some of the floats after that had students which we started recognizing. Well, I guess this is some form of CIP... getting involved in the community right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who exactly were you expecting????????