Saturday, February 12, 2005

Today, I almost went back to normal... spent some time at Kinokuniya at Takashmaya to stock up on my regular magazines and comics. It's the beginning of the month so most of them have just been released; EGM, Edge, Empire, Total Film.. Pretty much centred around games, movies, comics, anime, etc.

After that, I went over to Sim Lim to stock up on some VCDs and DVDs. After being out of action for more than a week, there were some new stuff which had come out. Bought Last Exile Vol 2, Orphen and a few other movies. Not sure if I can watch tem over the weekend, but I guess I'll watch them sometime... heh.

Then I went over to Toa Payoh, hoping to catch the new Studio Ghibli movie, Howl's Moving Castle. There was supposed to be a 3pm show, according to the movie listings in the Straits Times. But when I got there, I found that it was a mistake and there was no 3pm show. What a bummer. I was quite fed up, but then again, what can I do? Sigh. Now I'm hoping to catch it on Saturday afternoon instead. Hope there won't be another misprint...

Met up with my friend for kopi. He has been away in Cambodia on a Singapore International Foundation programme. Basically, he took some time off teaching (no pay leave) to be posted to Cambodia to teach the students and adults there. It's kinda like a third-world CIP thing. It was good to catch up with him and find out how things have been. Quite a few years ago, I had considered signing up for the SIF programme as well. Thought it would have been a very interesting experience. I'd actually signed up, gone for the briefings, interviews, etc, but I had to pull out after that... partly due to my health. Well, that's one experience which I guess I'll kinda regret not having. Back to my friend.. well, as expected, life in Camboida is so much simpler.. he was talking about how he had time after work, and how people basically spent evenings gathering with friends, drinking kopi, hanging out.. haha.. I don't think this can happen in Singapore any more. With the demands of work and pace of life here, things just move too fast for such a leisurely lifestyle. Maybe it's a matter of choice.

Tonight, I watched CLEAN on DVD. It's this arty farty film starring Maggie Cheung. I think she' s a pretty good actress, so I thought I'd give the film a chance. It wasn't bad... but the ending was so... arty. No nice and neat hollywood ending. I think we are so used to the 'happily ever afters' that when we get an open-ended conclusion, it just throws us off. The film just ends. Just like that. Leaving you to wonder what's gonna happen after that. Quite unnerving actually.

Two more days before school resumes. sigh.

No comments: