Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Since today has not been particularly pleasant, I decided not to blog about the day.

Instead, I shall write about the wonderful statement which Mr Bob Parr (ie. Mr Incredible) made when he was arguing with Mrs Parr (ie. Mrs Incredible). For the blur, Mrs Parr was making some statement about how Mr Parr never made time to go for his son's school functions, like when his promotion ceremony when he was moving from like primary 4 to primary 5. And Mr Parr simply replied about what kind of society have we become that we have begun to celebrate mediocrity.

Mediocrity is a scary word. For me, it's a word which I'm really scared of, but at the same time, it's a word which can be spelt 'stress-free'.

I've always been scared to be mediocre. I think it's something which I've tried never to be since my secondary school life. In whatever projects I have undertaken or responsibilities which I had been given, I have very rarely been satisfied to be mediocre. I've always believed that if anything deserves to be done, then it deserves to be done well. So, personally, I'm quite annoyed when I see others being satisfied with medicore efforts.

This has been both a bane and a boon.

Bane: you become a very critical person who tends to pick on others' performance. Nothing ever seems good enough. And sometimes, this can make others scared/annoyed /irritated with you.

Boon: it pushes you to greater heights. It ensures that your efforts are always you rbest, always 110%. So, the results are often fairly good, coz I can't settle for second best.

Well, that's why I'm scared of mediocrity. But like I mentioned earlier, many times, mediocrity is also something I wish I could settle for. It would certainly make things so much more stress-free. If I was willing to settle for second best, not to make things overly difficult for myself, and just do what is normal/expected, then I can envision a pretty easy life. No need to think of new ideas, new ways of doing things. Just repeat what was done earlier, and keep repeating it... ad nauseum. (heh, I like that term, 'ad nauseum'.) If I could do that and be satisfied with a mediocre performance, I 'd probably have much less stress.

Well, for now, I think I'm still quite scared of being mediocre. Maybe I need to find a balance? But if I find that balance, would it still be a state of mediocrity? heh.

Well, until then, I'll still agree with good-ole Mr Parr: 'What kind of society have we become if we've begun to celebrate mediocrity?'. Nice!

No comments: