Thursday, March 30, 2006

Vietnam Day 4 - Hanoi

It's Day 4 in vietnam. Haven't been able to blog the last two days coz the internet in the hotel at Danang was really bad. Always kena disconnected after a couple of minutes. Then after that, have lots of trouble trying to connect again. I've moved on to Hanoi now and the hotel is much better. Other than the nicer room & many more TV channels, the Internet is stable! heh.

Day 2 & 3 were pretty much taken up by work. That's kinda boring so I won't blog much about it. This morning was also work but after that, we had a couple of hours before our flight from Danang to Hanoi so our hosts brought us on a short sightseeing trip.

First we went to a beach in Danang. The beaches are supposed to be famous here. Well, I must admit it's not bad, but it's not really the best I've seen. Anyway, I don't think I'd come all the way to Danang in Vietnam for the beach. After that, we travelled all the way to this place called Quang Nam I think. They had a place there which basically showcased traditional Vietnamese lifestyle. It was fairly interesting. I liked the way they had these machines to help in daily tasks and they had people there demonstrating them.

Here's a pic of four ladies who were using this simple contraption to scoop water from the lake. It really looks easier than it really is. Takes quite some practice and coordination before you can get it to work smoothly.



Here's a pic of a bullock powered sugar cane crushing machine. Basically the bulls go round and round and rotate the gears which cursh the sugar cane. I thought that was pretty cool!



The last part of the visit was a food tasting. We were served dishes after dishes of traditional vietnamese food. Here's one of the tastier ones, it's some rice skin with a bit of meat inside and some fired shallots for garnishing. It tastes quite similar to our 'har kow'.


After the sightseeing, we made our way to the airport for our 55min flight to Hanoi. So here I am now, in Hanoi. Tomorrow is the start of the second cycle. It's my first time in Hanoi so I hope to finish the work a little faster so that I can hopefully see a little of the city before moving on.

Sigh... honestly, I'm missing Singapore...

No comments: