Wednesday, March 22, 2006

V for Vendetta



Caught the movie last weekend. I thought it was an very good movie. For one thing, it was a change from all the drama-type movies I'd been watching like Brokeback Mountain and Walk the Line.

I think the main idea of the movie is really clever. Especially given the current world context.

Basically, you have a society that is totally controlled by the government. A utopia of sorts. It's about how people have to give up their freedom of speech & thought to live in a society of supposed peace and security. It reminds me of a letter I read in the forum recently from an opposition party member who asks if we are willing to give up some of our civil liberties, then where do we draw the line?

Anyway, without giving anything much away, the movie is about this guy, codenamed 'V', who is a lone 'hero' trying to awaken the people by planting bombs and killing key people in the government.

It really messes up the mind. I mean, you are supposed to root for V coz he's fighting against the government. But you can't help but think how V's actions are so similar to the terrorists who have disrupted many countries around the world. And the terrorists do believe that they are fighting for the freedom of their people too.

Before you think otherwise, I am not a chim philosophical type. I don't purposely go all out to find hidden meanings/messaged in movies. The fact is, this similarity is really glaring in the movie.

Oh yah, the other thing is I hate how the censors have snipped the movie. There was one part where they were telling the story of two lesbians when suddenly, there was this obvious cut. Dunno for what. I think the adverts for movies in the newspapers should state clearly 'MOVIE HAS BEEN EDITED/CENSORED'. Then at least I can decide if I want to pay for a damaged product.

Oh well, on the whole, a very watchable movie. It's NC16 for the remaining violence. Catch it if you can.

No comments: