Sunday, September 24, 2006

Today was surprisingly quite fruitful. I thought I was just gonna end up wandering around tokyo aimlessly but instead, I managed to do a few cool stuff. First off, I found out from the net that there was a Tokyo Toy Festival happening at the Tokyo Big Sight (another convention/exhibition centre). So, I made my way there. For those who are familiar, Big Sight is at Odaiba, a water front place. It's quite a cool building. Looks like four upside down pyramids supported by pillars. Took many pics, but here's one. The others can be found in my online album.
















When I reache the Big Sight, I was kinda confused coz there were not signs and posters showing the Toy fest. I suddenly got worried that I might have gotten the date wrong! Then I caught a poster which said that the Tokyo Toy Fair was going to be held in October! Sianz! I was a little fed up with myself but decided to walk around anyway to see if there were any other exhibitions being held. After walking a couple of minutes to the east wing.... I saw the small banner proclaiming 'TOKYO TOY FESTIVAL'! Happy! So anyway, Toy FEST was today, Toy FAIR is next month.













The Toy Fest was quite interesting. Basically plenty of booths selling toys and collectibles. I tell you... had to show MUCH restraint. Wanted to buy so many many things. If not for the airline luggage limit.... I would have gone crazy. Ended up buying a Replica of the Spaceship Yamato from the Starblazers series. Dunno if any of you know this series. It's one of my all time favourite anime series. Very cool. I couldn't take more pics coz many of the dealers dun like their toys to be photographed. Dunno why. Competition maybe?

After the Toy Fest, I walked over to the Panasonic Centre. Some of my students had told me about the Nintendo display there when they visited it last year. So I went to take a look and well.. it's ok lar. Small place. Also cannot take many pics except for one which I took with a statue of Mario. Then I made my way to Tokyo station to visit the Pokemon Centre! haha... Quite fun. A really small shop.. probably no bigger than 6 classrooms... but it was fun to see so many pokemon merchandise in one place. They gave out free folders for the new pokemon movie too!















Finally to round up by day, I went to Ikebukuro for some walk walk. Visited the usual Toys R Us and Animate. Didn't buy anything though. haha.. plenty of self-control! (imposed by airline)

Before I sign off, must blog about my dinner. I finally decided to try some cold soba noodles. Now, let me say that I've tried cold soba noodles before in Singapore. Many many years ago. I went to my mom's friend's place and she had prepared cold soba noodles for dinner. I tell you, after that one meal, i decided I hated cold soba noodles. It's been easily 20 years and I've not had them since! The reason why i decided to give it a shot this time was I saw other people wolfing down the cold soba noodles at this shop together with a plate of tempura. So, I thot, what the heck, can't be that bad. OMG... it was really yummy! I mean, it tasted nothing like what I had tasted long long long ago. This might just become another fave jap food for me!















Here's a pic of the yummy cold soba which converted me!

No comments: