Monday, September 25, 2006

Disney Magic

Decided to do something really touristy and go to Disneyland today. Yep, my way of celebrating my birthday in Tokyo! Started off the day by visiting Akhihabara again. This time, I went to Yodobashi Camera, an electronics superstore. I have never been to the Akihabara branch. I think it's coz it's located on the opposite exit of the station and I've never used that exit. Wow, this branch is really quite huge. 7 floors of electronics goodness! Too bad I couldn't explore it fully coz I was trying to get to Disney by 3pm. Bought a new casing for my Sony MP3 player and a new pouch for my camera. So tempted to get a new laptop.... heh..



Next up, made my way to Disneyland. Quite fast actually. Train ride took less than 30mins and the walk from the station was less than 10mins. Then I purchased my ticket (5800yen which is slightly less than S$90) and went in. I tell you, there's just something which I think Disney pumps into the air. As much as I've not really wanted to visit Disneyland in the last few years, the minute I stepped through the gates, you just feel so... how do i put it... happy! haha... this stupid mouse and his empire is just so darn happy. My intention of coming to Disneyland was not to take the rides. The queues were too long for that. I basically wanted to see all the shows, the fireworks, and do some shopping. And I'm proud to say, I accomplished my goal!



First up was the Halloween parade. Great fun! I tell you, these japanese are really enthusiastic lor! Before the parade, they were taught actions and many of the japanese there were trying so hard to do them, oblivious as to whether people were looking at them. It's really quite admirable. They were just out to enjoy themselves and have fun! Not self-conscious at all. Take a look at my album for more pics.
Next, I went to do this lottery to try and get a seat for the evening's 'Kooky Spooky Halloween Night' show. Heh.. damn lucky lar! Managed to get a seat, somemore inthe centre section! Must be my birthday luck! Walked around a little, spend some money, took some pics, but didn't bother queueing for any rides. Most had waiting times of over an hour.



By 6pm, I made my way to the central courtyard for the show. The whole setting was just so perfect. The famous Disney castle in the background, the cool evening atmosphere... then the song and dance began. I think the Emcee was fantastic. As I watched him, I really wish more people who did campfires and emcee-ing could see this guy in action. He was sooooo into what he was doing. Maybe that's the secret, believing in what you are doing. There was more dancing and once again, the japanese lapped it all up! More floats, and pyrotechnics... the whole package. Loved the whole show. Then it was time for a quick bite (of the totally mediocre theme park food) before rushing to find a spot for the Electrical Parade. I've seen this a few times and though the music is more or less similar, it's still fun to watch everytime. I really wonder why can't Singapore do something like this instead of their totally lame floats which they put up for Chingay.

And finally, it was the fireworks. Yep, everybody's favourite. I found myself a good spot. Sat down and waited about 20mins for it to start. The fireworks were good... not spectacular... but still good. There was one firework which actually exploded in the shape of a five point star! That was quite cool.

After the fireworks, I did some quick shopping... couldn't buy much coz (1) things were really quite expensive and more importantly (2) I don't think I could pack more stuff in my luggage without risking paying extra charges. Disney is really a whiz at marketing. And these japanese buy like there's no tomorrow. People were buying baskets and baskets of cookies, useless toys, hair bands... etc, etc. Come on.. how smart can you get? Make people pay 5800 yen so that they can come in and shop??? lolz...

Anywaez, it was a really enjoyable day. I think the 5800 yen for the shows was well worth it.

yepz, last day tomorrow. Flying off in the evening. Will probably do a little last minute shopping before going off to the airport.

Before I go... found a new love... COLD RAMEN! haha!! I tried this place and I tell you, the cold ramen is to die for! Costs 640 yen (about S$10) and what you get is a large bowl of ramen and this really salty soy-saucy soup with some pork, veggies and half a half-boiled egg. So, like the cold soba, you dip some ramen in the hot soup and slurp it all up! It's a really nice feeling.. it's cold yet warm! Talk about a refreshing taste. I am sure gonna miss this when i get back to Singapore.

No comments: