Sunday, January 29, 2006

Xin Nian Kuai Le?

Had reunion dinner tonight. My family's tradition (which is probably the same as many other Singaporeans) is to have steamboat for CNY eve. But the thing is, we've evolved it such that 80% of the steamboat comprises of Foochow fishballs. For the uninitiated, Foochow fishballs are those that have a meatball inside them. They're soft & succulent and any bite into them usually results in a spurt of meat sauce from deep within. yummmmm....

Now, some of you might say, 'No big deal, we also have Foochow fishballs at our steamboat'. But you see, my mom has to buy like 60 Foochow fishballs for my brother and me. As far as we are concerned, all the other stuff are... frills - things we can do without. I think my brother and I would be plenty satisfied with just a steamboat of Foochow fishballs. But of course, my mom needs to add some colour to the table, so there are plates of chicken, pork, fish, sotong and prawns. But usually, we only put a token piece or two of them into the steamboat and then continue to work on the heavenly FFs.

Tonight, it was a little disappointing. I'm still recovering from my stomach flu thingy so wasn't really up to usual standards. Only managed to devour about 20 FFs. Sigh. What a disappointment. No worries. Can have them for the next few days!

Talking abt the next few days, you notices the '?' for the title of this post? yeah, it's a '?' coz it's hard to decide if it's really very kuai le. Truth is, my family doesn't do much visiting. We meet all relatives at a big lunch/dinner sometime during the 15 days of the CNY. So, we dun really practice visiting each other's homes. That's actually fine by me. But, there will be people who come visit. That means, I have to face the usual 'hello, how are you? Fine thank you. Yes, I'm still a teacher. Yes, I'm not married yet. ', and at the same time, wonder who I'm talking to. :-
p.

I should seriously consider going away next time over the new year. Including Friday afternoon, it would have been a 4.5-day getaway. Not bad really.

Oh well, with most shops closed, it'll either be movies, games or sleep. Or maybe, sleep, movies, games. Or maybe games, movies, sleep? Wow... infinite choices...

No comments: