Sunday, January 15, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

I was kinda disappointed with the film. For some reason, I was looking forward to watching it. It opened in the cinemas in Japan when I was there, but there was no way I was gonna pay 1800yen (about $27 singapore dollars) to watch a movie.... unless it's GV Gold Class lar!

Anyway, as I was saying, MoaG was kinda disappointing. Here's why:

1. Everyone spoke english.
It's just wrong to watch a film about old japanese culture and have every single person speaking in English! I can't help but think how much more authentic it would have been if a japanese director/film company had made this movie. Here we have these old japanese ladies speaking pretty much perfect english with a weird asian accent. Uncanny.

2. Chinese actresses instead of japanese ones.
I've nothing against Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi, but I think they should have used japanese actresses instead. It's probably a simple case of americans not being able to tell asians apart. To them, a chinese and a japanese woman probably looks the same. To us, I think we can tell that Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh are just so obviously not japanese. So we have these chinese women, trying so hard to act like japanese geishas. Sorry lar.. to me, I just didn't buy it.

3. No heart.
I think the movie could easily have been a heartwrencher and the director just couldn't get us into the story. I just didn't feel for the poor girl as she was being wronged and mistreated. Then even when she is an adult and having a hard life, there just wasn't any tugs at the heart. Such a waste.

Ok, although it wasn't the best movie, it wasn't that bad a movie. Although it was more than 2 hours long, it didn't really feel it. The movie also has some beautiful scenes too. And Zhang Ziyi was quite pretty lar.

Oh yah, I caught the trailer for Fearless, Jet Li's new movie. It really looks good. Something to look forward to!

No comments: