Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Dip

It's been a pretty busy week. With the March holiday week coming, my department has got to prepare for the departure of a few groups so there's been the usual swell in work. Although I'm on part time, I've actually been staying pretty late, working till 7.30pm on some nights the past week. So hardworking, I scared myself...

I've managed to find some time to read a book I bought a while ago. As you can see from the book cover below, what obviously attracted me was the byline - ' A little book that teaches you when to quit (and when to stick)'. I have very little patience, so I was pretty glad the book's nice and thin... only 96 pages. But it was a good 96 pages. Although not really preaching anything very new, it gave me a new framework to think about what I've been doing and where I want to go.

In a nutshell, the book is about how the things we do can be translated to the chart below. In the first part of the chart, with more effort, comes more results... very normal. In the middle of the chart, it shows that with even more effort, results suddenly take 'a dip'. The author Seth Godin then asks if we have ever planned to face the dip and if we have planned to push on with further effort so that we can reach a high level of results later on. The ability to overcome this dip or to decide if we should quit this dip even before embarking on the journey, will determine if we are successful or mediocre.

The reason why it caused me to think a little more is I wonder if I have faced my dips or tried to run away when I am in my dip. I've also been reminded to think about whether I am wasting my energy being mediocre at many things instead of being good in a few things.

When I chose to leave RI, the question I was whether I was just escaping from a dip or was I leaving for true legitimate reasons. Now that I am in my current job arrangement, am I happy coz I have settled into a state of mediocrity or should I be challenging myself to work towards and beyond my next dip.

It's kinda hard to be totally clear here coz I dun like to give a wordy review of the book. If you're facing similar questions of whether you should quit (or stick!), then consider picking up this book. At 96 pages, it's a quick and easy read.

No comments: