Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

Will Smith and his son acting as father and son in a movie. I guess this is an interesting premise. But for me, it really wasn't interesting enough.

My main complain about this movie is that it's just too depressing. You just have this story where everything that can go wrong to a person goes wrong. Some possible spoilers here, so skip this post if you dun like spoilers.

No money? Check.

Wife leaves? Check.

No job offer? Check.

Kick out of house? Check.

Sleep in subway toilet? Check.

Can't go for interview coz ended up in jail? Check.

Kena knock down by car? Check.

Cause son to lose his one and only toy? Check.

And the list goes on and on. It was such that when something good happens in the end (which I'm sure you would expect it to happen) you pretty much heave a HUGE sigh of relief both for Will Smith's character as well as yourself coz you wonder how many more depressing scenes you can take before you drown yourself in your coca cola.

I dunno. For me, I would prefer a little more balance to the bad/good news storyline. Yeah, maybe it's supposed to be an uplifting story about how we need to press on in the face of all difficulties. But I think I like my movies a little more unreal and happy. What's the point of escaping reality to sit in a cinema only to be faced with a ten-fold dose of real life. heh.

Watch this if you like depressing movies. For me, I think I should have given it a miss.

No comments: