Saturday, March 03, 2007

Dreamgirls

Wow, I really enjoyed this movie.

BUT if movies like Moulin Rouge and Chicago are not your type of thing then stay far far away coz you'll probably not like this as well. Fortunately for me, I enjoyed Moulin Rouge and this movie is in the same vein.

Basically, it's the story of how these 3 girls went from nothing to becoming superstars. Along the way, you have your evil businessmen-type, you have your internal struggles within the group and of course your obligatory love story. But it all comes together in a very nice package. There are some very memorable songs like the catchy 'I Love You I Do' and the angsty 'One Night Only'.

This movie has been getting plenty of publicity due to Jennifer Hudson winning pretty much every single award as a supporting actress in her role as 'Effie'. After the watching the movie, I think she does deserve every award. If nothing else, I think she sang her songs really well. You can't help but feel her pain in songs like 'And I am Telling You I'm Not Going' where she emotes how she doesn't want to leave the group and her 'boyfriend'. Super poor thing lar.

I was also impressed with Beyonce Knowles who actually plays the role of a less talented singer who gets bumped up to the lead simply coz she has a image that sells better. Lolz, it takes a pretty self-assured singer to be willing to play 2nd fiddle to a lesser known Jennifer Hudson.

Everyone sings in this movie. So much so that my brother was asking me if there were any african americans who don't sing well! I told him he just needed to watch the beginning episodes of American Idol to find the answer to that question.

On a slightly negative note, at times the songs do come a little hard and loud. There were a few moments where I felt that I might have reached the limit of the soulful screamings.

Good movie. Like I said, if you like sing-song type shows, then this movie is a definite must. If you hated Moulin Rouge, then forget it.

No comments: