Friday, January 12, 2007

The Queen

Heh heh.. you can see that I'm running out of movies to watch. I mean, I'm actually watching The Queen... a british-type movie.

To be frank, I was deciding between The Queen and Fast Food Nation and though I was leaning towards FFN, TQ was showing about 30mins earlier and I didn't really want to hang around waiting for FFN to start. So, I bought a ticket and went in, not having much expectations.

I am surprised to say I actually enjoyed the movie! TQ is basically about how Queen Elizabeth II handled Princess Diana's death. It tries to tell the story behind why she behaved the way she did.

For such a serious subject matter, there were actually quite a few laughs in the movie. Most of them come from the behaviour of the royalty as well as the wimpy Prince Charles. I don't know if it's intentional but seeing how the royalty had to behave the way they did was quite funny. But the movie does manage to show that royalty or not, they are also still humans.

The actress playing Queen Elizabeth II (Helen Mirren) does a pretty good job of showing a queen who is conflicted with having to carry the weight of the monarchy as well as being the type of queen the people expected her to be.

Anyone who knows me knows how I quite dislike british type movies. I must say this one was quite enjoyable. So, if you are looking for something funny yet with some emotional depth (unlike Borat), this movie should do a decent job.

No comments: