Friday, January 05, 2007

Confession of Pain

I am a Tony Leung fan so almost any movie with him will go down well with me. He was excellent in Infernal affairs and I think he does a great job again in Confession of Pain.

Tony Leung is kinda like the bad guy in this movie. Very early in the movie, we are already shown that he is the killer which Takeshi Kaneshiro must track down. The twist? The two of them are good friends. I'm not sure if this is the best way to tell this story. It might have been a little more interesting if it wasn't revealed that Tony Leung was the killer. Then it would have made for a nice revelation scene at the end. But I guess the writer preferred to dwell on how Takeshi discovers that Tony Leung is the killer.

Shu Qi played a real bimbo in this movie. Well, I guess you could argue if she was really 'playing' the role. Heh, it appears to be a pretty natural role for her. It was a little funny to see her play this kinda supporting role when she is supposed to be one of the bigger stars in Hong Kong.

One main complain is the LOUSY dubbing. This is one movie where I really wished they had used Tony Leung's original voice. The voice they chose was just wrong. It didn't fit Tony Leung at all and I found it very jarring. The tone was too high and he sounded too chirpy. Quite irritating.

Other than that, CoP is a pretty good movie. Personally, I don't think it comes close to Infernal Affairs but it's still pretty good. Then again, it might be pure biasness on my part since I am quite a Tony Leung Fan.

No comments: