Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year Humbug!

2006's over and 2007 is here. Uh... I hate to be a killjoy, but... so what? Maybe it's age... I've just come to take 31 Dec & 1 Jan as any normal day. It's been like this for the last 2 or 3 years. This year, since I've been on a looooong break since September and I'm not gonna be starting work on 2 Jan, I'm even a little more bochup about this New Year holiday. What did I do on New Year's eve? Uh.. watch some tv, read a comic then went to bed. What did I do the whole of New Year's day? Heh... I started fixing a 1000-piece jigsaw which I'd bought a year ago but never got around to starting it. Not very celebratory.

I admit I was tempted to go Vivocity a few days ago but when I caught the telecast on Channel 5, I'm SO GLAD I gave up on that idea. It was really quite bad. Gurmit is such a turn-off for me. And when the show had mainly people like Hady & Jonathan & Taufik.... YAWN, I'd rather stay at home.

I was also tempted to go catch the fireworks at Marina Bay but I was quite put off by the fact that SBS/SMRT were only gonna extend their train hours to about 1.20am. That means there would be a mad rush for the train after the 8 min long fireworks display. Come on, it's New Year's Eve/Day, can't they even extend the hours to say 3 or 4am seeing that people tend to stay up on New Year's Eve to take part in the countdown? In my opinion, not much of a 'public transport service' to me. On TV, I must admit the fireworks display at Marina looked impressive.... that was until I saw the fireworks in Taipei, London & Sydney. In comparison, they made our fireworks look like the little sparks from a cigarette lighter. But ok lar, I guess compared to our ASEAN neighbours, we had a pretty good show.

So that's how the new year went for me. Pretty simple. Pretty lazy.

2006? Well, the biggest thing for me was of course my leaving the job which I'd stuck to the last 5.5 years. Leaving a job is always a big decision. There's always the sting of not having a paycheck for a couple of months. Then there's also the huge uncertainty of when I would get my next job. As a friend of mine said, the longer I stay away from work, the harder it is for me to get off my butt to start working again. It's been 4 months so I think it's really time I start doing some work. My savings aren't gonna last forever.

So, as is the custom for the new year, I shall make a resolution which I know I will definitely keep: I resolve to find a new job this year. :P heh. I'm pretty sure I won't break this one. Any others? Well, the usual ones that I know I will probably break, so I think there's not much point in mentioning them here.

So to everyone, have a happy 2007 and may you find happiness in whatever you do.

No comments: