Monday, January 22, 2007

Coincidental meetings

This past weekend has been a weekend of coincidences. Quite nice to bump into some old friends/aquaintences.

On Friday, went with my bother to catch The Illusionist at Junction 8. Well, i guess if I'm gonna go Bishan, it's kinda expected that I'd bump into people I know. After the movie (which was quite good), saw two sec 3 prefects in Long John Silver. Must admit that I do miss working with the prefects. Living a life of carefree-nojobness is so contrasting to working in RI.

On Saturday, met up with some friends for lunch at Takashimaya. After lunch, went to Kinokuniya (my all-time favourite bookshop) and as I was browsing, I met two former students. Students from almost 10 years ago. One's taking a course in university, another is starting work as a systems engineer. It's really nice to see these students doing pretty well in life. I mean, they weren't exactly in a top or even average school. I believe that school was in the bottom percentile in terms of school rankings. Guess it's like they say, these are the rewards of being a teacher.

On Sunday evening, had a very pleasant surprise when a friend from my Secondary School days (yes, you read it right, my SECONDARY SCHOOL days) suddenly dropped by my house! We were pretty good pals in school coz we were classmates and he stayed near my place so we went to school together and kinda did our projects together as well. Since JC, we only met occasionally when we bumped into each other in Serangoon Gardens. I think the last time I met him was.. uh... more than 10 yrs ago? Probably closer to 20... Anyway, we had a good time catching up. He's teaching in St. Andrew's, so of course, I'm wondering if that's somewhere I should work towards, going back to serve in my alma mater.

All in, a very interesting weekend. One thing I am enjoying about this period of nojobness is being able to catch up with some friends which I rarely meet up with. It's sad that when I was bz working, these kinda things usually take a second place. Guess it all boils down to priorities.

No comments: