Friday, October 20, 2006

This has been a really slack week. If it weren't for my toenail prob, I would have been on my way to the US by now. Instead, I'm stuck at home, trying to find things to keep myself occupied. Sadly, I appear to be approaching my super-bored-coz-there's-nothing-to-do stage. Well, went to see the podiatrist again yesterday and it seemd to be getting better. So, I might be able to go for my trip next week. Guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

So, what have I been doing?

Firstly, watching TV series. Yep. After SURFACE, I've finished watching PRISON BREAK and am halfway through watching LOST. Quite tiring actually, but it's so much more fun to watch a tv series at one shot rather than wait week after week after week. Prison Break is really really good. The simple premise is how this guy has planned the entire escape from the prison and of course, how he handles the problems that pop up along the way. The characters in the show are pretty interesting... the serial rapist/murderer, the mob boss, the robber, etc, etc. Season 1 was awesome. Now i have to wait for season 2 to be available. I'm seriously considering getting the itunes card so that I can buy the episodes from the itune store. I'll look into that when I visit the US.

Movies. Yep. More movies. This week, I've caught The Prestige, Deathnote and The Guardian. Here are my mini-reviews:

The Prestige: Although there are many good reviews for this movie, I personally think that it's a so-so movie. Fine, the acting might be ok and there are interesting plots but there are two things which I didn't like. (1) I didn't like the direction. There are three time periods in the movie and it was really tough trying to decide which time period was going on because the director just kept switching from one to the other without any obvious markers. It made it worse when all the time periods concern the SAME people! So, everytime there was a scene change, I had to spend a couple of moments to try to figure out which time period it was. I found that quite irritating. (2) I wish there was more magic and less science. And sadder still was the fact that the science they used was kinda lame. I mean.. involving people like Tesla?? A bit far-fetched lor.

Deathnote: Let me first say that I've not read the manga, so I went for the movie without any idea what is was really about. I think the premise is quite interesting, a notebook where anyone whose name is written in it will die. While the whole story was not bad with some interesting twists, I guess I thought there could have been a little more moral conflict about the whole idea of killing criminals to make society safer. I guess that might have made the movie kinda philosophical and heavy-going. The CGI devil was decently done. Nothing too fantastic since CGI nowadays are generally pretty good. Quite a fun movie overall.

The Guardian: This movie is a bout the coast guard rescue team. It stars Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher. It's funny. I dunno why Kevin costner seems to like water disaster movies. The movie was quite ok. It's basically made of two parts: the actual rescue events (which made up the start and the end) and the school for the new trainees (which made up the entire middle chunk). I must say that Ashton Kutcher was not bad in the movie. He was definitely trying to break out of his usual goofy roles and I think he succeeded to some extent. Decent movie. Worth watching.

The last thing taking up my time is comics. Been catching up with some of my comics and I started off with the collection of Infinite Crisis. Halfway through right now. Pretty good.

Oh yah, discovered this awesome site yesterday: www. viidoo.tv. It actually allows us to watch american tv over the net!! It's not prerecorded, just streamed. The connection is not too bad. I tried a few channels and it was quite smooth after the first couple of minutes. Awesome. Don't you just love the internet?

No comments: