Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sinking of Japan

The trailer for the movie looked quite interesting and furthermore, me being a lover of all things japanese, wanted to see how Japan could possibly be destroyed due to it sinking into the sea. So, I decided to catch the preview today. Boy, did the movie suck.

It was only about 1h 45 mins long, but it felt so much longer than that. In fact, I thought the movie was already ending (or maybe I was hoping it was ending) so I looked at my watch, only to realize it had only been an hour since it started. bummer.

The biggest problem? I think the director couldn't decide what kind of movie he wanted. He didn't know whether he was filming a disaster or romance movie or a documentary or... I dunno what. The movie was a mess. It had so much potential but nothing was really fleshed out. I mean, you have a movie about the total destruction of Japan, we ought to feel sorry for the japanese right? I dunno, but the movie doesn't really make me feel anything at all. They could explore the problems with relocating their citizens to the other countries, but it was touch and go. And the love story... sigh... the love story... it was so fake and unbeleivable.. and LAME. And then you have this scene where the girl tells the guy point blank, "make love to me". I almost laughed out loud coz it was just so out of place and awkward.. Then, guess what, the guy says... "NO"!!! lolz... and proceeds to give some lame reason which I really didn't understand... I wished he'd said "No... coz... I'm sorry, but I've been hiding this from you.. I'm gay!".. Now that would have given a much needed twist to the really boring story.

B-grade movies are fine. They are in a class of their own. But this movie is just plain boring. Don't even consider it. I guess as the saying goes "Go up a mountain frequently enough and you'll meet a tiget"... guess after the recent chain of good and not-too-bad movies, it was time for a bad one.

No comments: