Friday, October 13, 2006

Movies, movies, movies

Been on a movie-watching blitz since I came back from Indonesia. One a day. Decided to do some mini-reviews instead of the long ones.

WORLD TRADE CENTRE
This movie could probably be any other disaster movie. The director, Oliver Stone, concentrates more on how the different families deal with the fact that they don't know what has happened to their loved ones. Of course, in the context of the Sep 11 attacks, it makes the whole movie much more real. Although a little slow moving at times, I must say that some moments are pretty heartwrenching. Those moments come from the wives and family members. One thing I didn't really feel was the enormity of the World Trade Centre towers coming down. Guess that's what the director was going for. The human side of the story. Watch only if you need some emotional stimulation. Don't expect special effects fest or action sequences.

THE DEPARTED
Yes, it is inevitable to compare this to Infernal Affairs. After all, it was based on the Hong Kong movie. Jack Nicholson vs Eric Tsang... Jack wins, hands down. He is the epitome of craziness. He has this famous 'act like a rat' scene... hilarious... yet scary. Leonardo Dicaprio vs Tony Leung. I'm gonna go with Tony Leung. I think Tony made the character more conflicted, more sensitive. And his relationship with the Inspector came across so much more personal. Matt Damon vs Andy Lau. I'm gonna have to go with Matt Damon on this. But as far as I am concerned, I loved Mark Wahlberg. He wasn't in the Hong Kong movie. Mark was really good. I loved his foulmouth-ness. He probably never spewed so many vulgarities in a single movie. But the vulgarities were funny. So... hong Kong vs hollywood? Hmm... I am gonna say Hong Kong. Maybe it's coz I watched Infernal Affair first. But I think the characterization was tighter and I especially like the bond Tony Leung had with the inspector. (heh.. kinda strange to say that a Hong Kong movie has better characterization than an american one, considerin that most Hong Kong fare are quite lousy). Go watch (if you are 18 and above). Quite good.

TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY
I don't really kknow why I went to watch this one. I'm not a race car fan and I don't really like Will Ferrel. I think it's because (1) the reviews were not crap and (2) I had nothing else to do. lol. Anyway, TN:TBORB is a nonsense show, trying to have a heart/moral. Some of the jokes are quite in your face. You have the gay french guys, the foul-mouth kids, the sexy wife who only goes for winners, etc, etc. But for me, although the entire movie was a so-so, there was one scene which made it all worthwhile. It was basically a knife-in-your-thigh scene. And then how the others tried to take it out.... by twisting it... using another knife... you know what I mean? Hilarious and totally squirmy! So, I guess if you're a race car or Will Ferrel fan, than this movie is for you. Otherwise, maybe you can save you money.

OK, that was my movie marathon for the last three days. Hmm.. maybe I should go watch something today and make it four in four days....

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I watched Infernal Affairs again after seeing Mr. Scorsese's fantastic flick, and, though it pains me to say it, I have to go with Leo by just a nose over Tony .. this was the first Leo movie in which I didn't just want to strangle him from the start!