Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pretty Sucky National Day....

yeah.. I've been quite quiet over the national day break. Actually, I was kinda looking forward to it, but things just didn't seem to go my way.

On Monday, we had the celebrations in school. That didn't end too good, so it was kinda like a bad omen to the start of the 3-day break. In the morning, I also received some bad news. Originally, I was supposed to get a ticket to go for the NDP. I was kinda looking forward to it coz I'd never been to a NDP at the Padang. The last one I went was at the National Stadium quite a few years ago. So anywaez, I spent Sunday afternoon looking for a red shirt for the NDP and spent $20 to get one in the end. On Monday, just after the school's celebrations, I received news that I won;t be getting the ticket. THat was quite disappointing. So, 2nd bad omen in less than 2 hours. Sigh.

On Monday afternoon, I accompanied some of the prefects and the M'sian visitors to the Istana. Quite ok lar. I wasn't overly excited coz it wasn't my first time meeting the president. I had participated in some chit chat session with the president some time last year. And dunno leh.. I've kinda reached the 'he's-just-one-of-us' kinda state. So it wasn't terribly exciting.

So how did I spend the National day break? Sigh. I was so looking forward to catching up on the movies which I'd missed while I was on MC. But the fates decided otherwise. My body decided to have mini-gout attack party. The pain started first at my right knee, then it got better, then it spread to my right foot, then it got better, then it spread to my left foot, then it got better... by then.. it was already Wednesday afternoon. So how did I spend my National Day break? On my chair, ice-ing my mini-gout attacks... and hoping it won't get worse. Sigh.. exciting eh?

Two things that I can talk about. Firstly, the National Day Parade. I thought this year's celebrations were quite boring. Actually, every year seems to be a repeat of itself again and again. I think the organizers need to find some way to make it fresh. I hated the idea of 'mini-celebrations' throughout Singapore. Thought it was kinda silly. The fireworks were nice. There were some interesting ones this year. Saw this circular one with a star in the middle. Very cool. I think next year maybe should just pay a couple of hundred bucks to get a room at the Swissotel and see everything from the comfort of a hotel room!

Secondly, I hobbled to GV Great World to catch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Not a bad show. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are an excellent pair. The oompa loompas were not too irritating and their dance numbers were decently fun. I had hoped to catch Seven Swords on the same day but decided not to aggravate my mini-gout attack, so went home to rest.

So there it is... my exciting National Day break. Hooray. Sigh.

No comments: