Sunday, August 14, 2005

Ho Hum...

The last couple of days have been fairly non-eventful. There was English Feste on Thursday and Friday so there pretty much weren't any lessons for the whole of last week. Maybe it's the normal case of the idle mind being the devil's workshop. When things are in a wind-down mode, the mind usually starts using its resources to think of stuff you would otherwise not think about.

Not that there aren't things to do. Coming up are the Head Prefect selections, Teachers Day celebrations, Boarding School 10th Anniversary celebrations, RIPB elections, etc, etc. So there is plenty to do.

Anywaez, what have I been thinking about? Hmm.. I guess the main thing is where I am heading in the next couple of years. I've almost completed 5 years in RI. To me, that's quite a lot of years. I'm obviously not getting any younger, so are there things which I want to try and do which I have still not done? Live life without regrets. I believe in that. I think it's important to be true to ourselves and pursue the dreams we have. Do I stay in RI? Do I seek other challenges? Hmmm... plenty of questions, no answers.

Other meaningless random thoughts in my mind:

Presidential Elections. Just heard over the news, no elections coz no one else is getting a certificate of eligibility. Heh.. I just find it so funny. We're probably the only country with the longest serving non-elected elected president. heh. I was reading a blog where the writer was ranting about how silly it is that in our supposedly educated and clean/corrupt-free Singapore, we cannot even find two people to stand for elections for our presidency. That's quite true isn;t it? It's like saying, in our country of over 3 million people, we only have ONE person who is willing and eligible to be president.

Protest outside CPF building. The other big news all over the blogging community. Apparently, 4 people were having some kind of silent protest outside the CPF building. They were asking for more transparency over how the govenrment uses our CPF and other sources of funds. Well, the police sent 40 'riot-police' to disperse and stop the 4 people from protesting. I'm not sure, but I don't think there was any report about this in the newspapers. Maybe it's just not newsworthy enough. I'm not gonnabe political about this. The only comment I want to make is, 40 people to stop 4 people? Sigh... talk about overkill.

Just what is newsworthy? One of the recent hot news is about that fella who swam across the English channel in about 12 hours. Plenty of newspaper and TV coverage. From what I gather, many people have done this but he's the first Singaporean to do it. They even showed him on TV as he climbed out of the water and waved his school flag in triumph. Ok lar, I guess it is quite an achievement. Flashback to 2 weeks ago. We had Dr Tan, going 24 hours around a track to break a Guiness World Record, with over 1800 students supporting him through the 24 hours, with 2 ministers dropping by to support & encourage him and there wasn't even a mention over TV. In the newspapers, there were brief mentions which were hardly near the coverage the english channel fella had. Hmm... so what is newsworthy?

Stargate SG-1. I'm kinda hooked on this old sci-fi series. When the Stargate movie first came out, it wasn't very well-received. It was kinda slow and not very exciting. But I personally enjoyed it and thought the premise was very interesting. Well, the movie actually spawned a TV series which also wasn't very popular. But in the end, it actually lasted 9 seasons! That's pretty good for a show that wasn't very popular. Anywaez, I bought the DVDs of Seasons 1 & 2 last year when I was in the US (cheap, 2nd hand!) and I finally got around to watching them recently. Must say they're quite good! Not on par with Star Trek, Buffy or Battlestar Galactica, but still highly watchable and reasonably interesting.

No comments: