Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Kung Fu Dunk

Work ended at 2pm today so I decided to catch one of the CNY movies before going home for reunion dinner. Had a choice of all three movies: Kung Fu Dunk, Ah Long Pte Ltd and CJ7. I decided to catch Kung Fu Dunk even though most of the reviews in the newspapers were really bad. I think it averaged around 1.5 to 2 stars out of 5! I am glad to say I didn't let those reviews make my mind for me. I really enjoyed the movie! It was a nice break from all the weirdish, bloody-ish movies I've been watching recently.

I think the key to watching this movie is to remember that you are essentially watching a japanese manga. There are parts that are just plain silly, but in the context of a manga, it's really very suitable.

Jay Chou does his usual good job in his I'm-so-bo-chup-that-I'm-so-cool role. Of course, it's not much different from his other roles... but you've gotta admit that he is the right person for such roles. Eric Tsang also does a pretty good job as his manager. I'm glad he practiced some self-control and didn't go over-the-top in trying to act silly. All the other roles were quite peripheral. Even the female star, Charlene Choi, was not very prominent.

The 'kung fu' elements were pretty well done and even though I don't watch basketball games, I enjoyed the way the basketball stunts were carried out. The special effects were also pretty well done. I just wished there was a little more of the 'qi' effects.

I liked the humour and pacing of the movie. It doesn't really go over the top but it's kinda silly in a manga-kinda way. Like I said, some people will be put off by the silly jokes and lack of slap stick humour. But if you think of it as a manga, it all fits very well.

Warning...Mini-spoiler: My only compaint is this little section near the end of the movie where Jay Chou's kung fu teachers swoops in to save the day. Personally, I found that whole section meaningless and force-fitted into the movie. I would have enjoyed the movie without that section at all.

Very good movie. Might watch it again. Now what next... CJ7 or Ah Long?

No comments: