Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Today's my last day in Rome. Went to the last few places which I'd missed out so far.


First stop was the Pantheon, the only intact building of ancient Rome, built in 27 BC. It doesn't look very spectacular until you go in and see the huge semi-spherical dome which is the original dome since it was built! The Romans really built things to last!



Next I went on to Piazza Navona, built on the former ruins of an ancient stadium. Was a bit disappointed coz the obelisk was undergoing maintenance and was all boarded up... in fact, quite a few of the obelisks around Rome were all boarded up, like the one above the Spanish steps. A short walk away was the Area Sacra, an excavated area in the middle of modern buildings. This place is famous coz Julius Caesar was killed just behind the 5 pillars you see in the pic.


Had some lunch then went to see this really meaningless monument. Heh.. Only reason why I went was coz I have this fascination with pyramids. It's the only remaining pyramid built by some rich magistrate. No museum, no tours... just went there for a pic.



The last stop of the day was also the most interesting. I went to the last of the 4 major basilicas of Rome - St Paul's Basilica. Ok, I admit, I felt I should also go there coz I'm named after him after all... heh.... It was a beautiful basilica, although it wasn't as grand as St Peter's Basilica. I loved the garden & statue St Paul in front of the Basilica (first pic) and also the beautiful interior. Under the tabernacle is believed to be the remains of St Paul.











In the train on the way back to the hotel, I decided to leave my mark on the train as well. I mean everyone else was doing it... so here it is!










(just joking... dunno who did it, but it's fun to see my surname scratched on the window.)

Just one more note for the day... I was kinda irritated when I got back to the hotel coz my laundry which I had sent in the morning was not back and I am leaving at 6.30am in the morning tomorrow. I had double checked that the laundry would be back in time this morning and was assured that it would be ok. So, now (1) I had to go do laundry at a self-service laundromat immediately as I was out of clothes to travel tmr and (2) I'm short of a T-shirt and 2 underwears for my US trip. Kinda irritating coz I packed pretty little as I knew I was gonna be travelling quite a bit in the US. Now, I'll have to go buy some more underwear and shirts in the US. I think the hotel's gonna compensate me by giving me a discount on the room. Will find out tomorrow.

OK, better sleep soon, dun wanna miss my flight tomorrow.

1 comment:

Rome Hotel Review said...

Hey, have you seen Rome hotel review? It seems to be very useful.