Sunday, November 05, 2006

Internet connection was down in the hotel last night.... so no updates.

Yesterday, I went to Vatican City. Really good visit. It was a little overwhelming coz there were just SO MANY PEOPLE!! I wanted to go to the Vatican Museum first, but the queue was easily half a kilometre long! Had a pleasant surprise as I was wandering around St. Peter's Square. The Pope was returning to the Vatican so there was a mini-driveby and the people were excitedly waving at him. I'm not Catholic so it wasn't that big a deal, but it was cool to be able to see the Pope (even though he was in a car).

I loved all the statues and chapels in St. Peter's Basillica. It's interesting to see how the fervour/devotion of the popes, artists & followers are translated into all these monuments. Some highlights... in no particular order: (1) seeing the tomb holding the remains of St. Peter (2) seeing the tomb of the last Pope (3) climbing the 'cupola', ie, the top of the dome.

I ended up spending pretty much the whole day at Vatican City. Great visit. First two days in Rome have been very enjoyable.

Here are some pics:















View from the top of the dome (I'm very proud that I managed to do the climb up the steps!)















The remains of St. Peter are kept in this intricate box in an elaborately designed tomb.















The Pope's car driving by.















Famous view of St. Peter's Basillica & St. Peter's Square.

No comments: