Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Long Hu Men (Dragon Tiger Gate)

Hmm, I'm jobless today. Unemployed. In other words, no income. :P For the next few months, gonna have to live off my savings.

Got up at 9am today. Bummed around a little. Read the papers then decided, what the heck, it's Day 1 of my jobless life, so back to bed I went. Woke up again at 12noon. After scanning through the day's news, decided to go catch a movie - Dragon Tiger Gate.

Actually, I've heard really mixed reviews for the movie. I think I've seen reviews giving it 1 star to reviews giving it 4 stars (out of 5). Well, Eng Wah cinemas were having a $5 special so I decided to give it a go (not say any other good movies out there lar).

Dragon Tiger Gate (or Long Hu Men) is based on the popular chinese comic of the same name. I never read those comics. Chinese not good enough. I never could understand which were the names of the people and which were the names of the kungfu strokes. Confusing.

DTG has got pretty good action sequences. The fighting is well choreographed and I especially like the finale fight scene. The whole movie should be like that lor. They had all the special kungfu moves with the accompanying special effects. Very cool.

But unfortunately, that's about all that's good about the movie.

The storyline was VERY boring. If not for the fighting sequences, I'd be bored stiff. Hated all the attempts to work in a romantic storyline. Hated the predictable bad brother-good brother scenes. Hated the bad-guy-turned-good-guy plot.

The actors. Hmm.. You really need to look the part. For most of them, the cast were ok. The biggest problem to me is the main star, Donnie Yuen. He's a great fight choreographer & martial art fighter. But he needs to realize that he just can't carry a movie. He was so uncharismatic and you can't help but wish someone younger, and more wuxia-like had taken on the role. He basically looked like a lao-ah-beng in the movie. Donnie should really just concentrate on doing what he's best at and stop trying to be a movie star.

For 5 bucks, I think DTG is a decent movie. If you've not watched it, go catch it, but only for the kung fu scenes. Forget about the storyline parts. Go buy popcorn and drinks or go to the toilet everytime they start talking. lolz.


Here's the movie poster as well as a cover from one of the Long Hu Men Comics. Just for comparison.

No comments: