Wednesday, June 29, 2005

War of the Worlds

Finally, mid-week. The first week of the new term is always a horrible one. It's like a massive hangover which lasts for the whole week. After a month of holidaez, of sleeping late and waking late, of doing fun stuff... coming back to school is like a massive jolt back to reality. Like it or not, it's part of school life. So, guess there's not much point in complaining.

Other than the horrible feeling of tiredness and the unrelenting wave of things/activities, I guess the term has not been too bad so far. Teaching wise, the 3 classes I'm taking is a nice return to familiarity since I'd taught them before last year. Teaching Physics is certainly more fun than having to cover Chemistry as well. Youth Week has also been quite ok so far. Despite initial concerns, I must say things appear to be going reasonably well.

Today, I decided to make time and go watch War of the Worlds. Actually, the main reason why I had to go was coz I had a movie voucher which expires on 30 Jun. So if I didn't go, I would be wasting a free ticket! WotW was pretty good. The special effects were quite breath-taking. But the one thing which really stole the show was Dakota Fanning. She's the little girl. I mean, she can really freak out! Throughout the show, she pretty much convinces you how scared she is and her screams and sobs are really wrenching. The one small let-down is the ending coz it ends quite abruptly. I think Spielberg did it intentionally coz he wasn't really focussed on how to fight the aliens but how the 'everyday people' faced the invasion. I'm sure many people in the cinema were like 'HUH?!' when the movie ended. haha. Good show. Go watch.

OK, two more days to go. Then it's weekend. Phew!

No comments: