Thursday, June 02, 2005

Busy day. Watched Monster-in Law and H2G2 (or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

Before that, I went to school to do a bit of Admin stuff. Then I popped by the World Book Fair at Suntec City. I was really quite disappointed at the fair. The book selection was really bad and it felt more like a Chinese Book Sale cum jumble sale. I spent less than 15mins at the fair. I'm planning to go to the PC show tomorrow, so I'm hoping it won't be as disappointing as the book fair.

Since I spent so little time at the book fair, I found that I had enough time to catch Monster-in-Law before watching the preview of H2G2.

Monster-in Law was quite ok. It seems to be the 'return of the old actors'. I mean, we had Barbara Streisand in Meet the Fockers and now Jane Fonda in MiL. Mind you, Jane Fonda hasn't acted in a movie for 15 years! There were some hilarious scenes, and Jennifer Lopez was ok as the plain-jane daughter-in-law to be (although I thought she was acting in a very similar role to her other movie, Maid in Manhattan). On the whole, MiL has it's moments and it's kinda fun watching a 'distinguished' actress like Jane Fonda acting like a clown, but it's really just a mediocre film.

After MiL, I had a 10min break before starting on H2G2. As usual, I opted to watch it at an Eng Wah cinema coz Eng Wah cinemas are all equipped with digital projection. I don't understand why GV doesn't follow suit and equip their cinemas with digital projectors too. Anyway, H2G2 was weird. I read the book many many years ago as a student. If you've read the book, you know how weird the story is. The movie is not much different. For those who've read the book, you at least know where it's all aheaded and you're prepared for the wacky humour. For those who haven't, I think the movie will seem very odd. At times, you probably won't even know where the whole story is headed. In the end, I found the humour a little british for my liking. The effects were ok, and there are occasional laugh-out-loud scenes (far fewer than MiL, though). But I suspect, H2G2 will not go down well with most Singapore audiences.

Tomorrow is a bz day... have two meetings before lunch, then pc show, then class party.

Whee!

(By the way, did I tell you how much I like my new K750i?)

No comments: