Sunday, February 19, 2006

Movie Updates

OK, I must admit these last two movies I've watched aren't the most exciting, but I was pretty much swayed by all the Oscar buzz.. so I decided to catch them before the Awards ceremony.

Watched WALK THE LINE last Sunday. The reviews have been gushing about how great the two leads were. I think the movie was not bad. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew more about Johnny Cash. I've heard about him, but that's about it. I can imagine that his fans (esp. those in the US) would have found this film very good. To me, it was a decent love story with some gory songs.

Here's an excerpt from Folsom Prison Blues, one his most famous songs:
When I was just a baby, my mama told me, "Son
Always be a good boy; don't ever play with guns."
But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
When I hear that whistle blowin' I hang my head and cry.

Basically, if I took away the reference to Johnny Cash, it's a movie about two people who love each other but are married to different people and how in the end, they give in to the love. Yeah.. soppy.



Today, I caught the other hot Oscar film, Brokeback Mountain... the 'gay cowboy' movie. It's funny, but now that I think about it, Brokeback Mountain is also like Walk the Line, but with two guys! haha... Basically, it's about two guys who loved each other but are married to others (women, lar). But Brokeback has a sad ending, coz in the end, this love kinda tears everything apart. In Walk the Line, the love conquers everything, and everyone lives happily ever after.



Yeah, so I think enough of the soppy movies... still want to watch Fearless and I think Munich is opening soon. I'm also trying to catch Constant Gardener before it ends. Haven't watched I Not Stupid Too either..

No comments: