Sunday, June 06, 2010

More Reasons Why I HATE Taiwan - Lukang

After the morning cycling, my host brought us to Lu Kang, kinda like a historic district near his house. It was really quite interesting walking through the streets. The shops were really trying to bring back the old toys/activities of old.

And well, I've discovered more reasons to hate Taiwan. I tried many other weird and interesting food today. Sigh. No cycling tomorrow. Really curious to see how many million pounds are gonna be added when I go home.

Anywhere, here are the pics...


Lu Kang Street
Old games - pinball of sorts. Basically, if you win anything, you are supposed to ring the gong to let the owner of the shop know so that he/she can give you the prize. :S

Here's another old favourite, throwing rings at objects. I know we have it in pasar malams in Singapore. But the difference is... look at the details! Look at the way everything is arranged so neatly!

Old lamps in one of the old temples (Ah Ma Temple)

They call this 'Zhuang Yuan Gao' or Scholar Cakes Dunno why, but they taste really good!
This I didn't dare try... little snails/shellfish.... eeewww.....


Another old favourite! Tikam Tikam! Not sure how many of you remember this, you simply pay.. choose a paper... open it up and see if you've won anything! lol.

More food streets...
Some sweet bean/yam buns... hated (really heated) the filling.. tasted like Stinky Toufu...

This is what Taichung is supposed to be famous for... Oyster Omelettes. The texture is quite nice, less chewy than Singapore's version. But they were really generous with the oysters.

These interesting buns were actually made out of strips of yam with some meat fillings inside.
And here I am enjoying the yam bum thingy...

Really liked the canopy of lanterns leading to the temple. Very reminiscent of the old Chinese Ghost Story movies.

I didn't dare try these. Essentially, deep fried shrimps. I think they call them 'prawn monkeys'...

One of the yummier biscuits... Cow's Tongue Biscuit. Not real cow's tongues of course. Just the shape I guess.

I also didn't dare eat these. Goose eggs. HUGE!

And last (though wasn't really the last snack for the day, more like the last snack at Lu Kang) but not least, here's the milk ice cream with coffee flavoured chocolates and other stuff.

Sigh. I'm so dead.

No comments: