Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ghost Rider

I didn't expect much from this movie. The trailer was so-so and I guess, like most of you, Ghost Rider isn't the most recognizable/popular Marvel Comics character. So, since my expectations weren't that high, I wasn't really too disappointed by the movie.

Story? Nothing new. We have Ghost Rider fighting against three other elemental demons, Earth, Wind and Water, and their boss, Blackheart (oooooh.. so original) the son of the devil. Ghost Rider is obviously Fire. The sad thing is how there really isn't a fight. Other than their pseudo-cool earthy, windy, watery effects, the demons don't really do much and Ghost Rider downs them pretty easily. And Blackheart? Heh, I admit I didn't really know why he was after the 'contract' and he wasn't that menancing other than occasionally showing us his bad teeth (which he apparently inherited from his dear daddy).

Effect? The usual. Decent stuff, nothing jaw-dropping. Don't really remember any 'Wow!' scenes.

Actors? Sigh, this one is a little bit of a disaster. It stars Nicholas Cage who is about 43 years old this year, trying to act like someone in his mid to late twenties. It was painful. While he does try to give some emotional depth and twist to the character, you keep thinking that this guy is just trying too hard to act young. I didn't find it believable. In fact, I preferred it everytime he changed to the Ghost Rider coz his face was replaced by the flaming skull. Funny thing is, they started off with a different actor who acted as the younger version of Nicholas Cage's character. Personally, I thought they should have just kept to that guy and not use Nicholas Cage at all. Thank goodness Nicholas Cage didn't get to play Superman.

Being the typical effects-laden-superhero movie, I guess it'll probably do pretty decently in Singapore. But honestly, it's not that bad and not that good a movie. Pretty forgettable.

No comments: