Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cycling to Marina Bay

Last week, went on my first 2+hour cycling trip to Marina Bay. It was quite an experience trying to cycle along the park connector all the way there and then returning on the normal roads. Needed to really pick up simple cycling skills from more experienced cyclists so I had asked Timothy to give me some tips... simple things like hand signals... duh! That's how little I know.

The Park Connector is a pretty good idea, except for the fact that there were too many disruptions to the path due to construction work and overhead bridges. I can just imagine how fun it could be if the park connectors were... better connected! heh.

Decided to go all the way to Marina Bay coz I thought it would be not too far for a noob and I also wanted to get my first look at the Helix Bridge. Nice views along the way and thankfully, the weather was pretty good, not too blazing hot.

Can't remember where I took this. If I'm not wrong, it was somewhere near kallang.

Took this at the Nicoll Highway.

F1 Pit with Singapore Flyer in the background. Although people say the Flyer may be underused, you can't deny that it adds a nice touch to the Marina Bay skyline.

Finally at the Helix Bridge with the (now infamous) Marina Bay Sands. I thought the bridge was really nice and that Singaporeans were just nit-picking when they complained about the lack of shade. Funny thing was the bridge was not completely opened so it went about 3/4 way before you had to turn back.

Obligatory photo of inaugural long bike ride. :)

Went a little closer to the Marina Bay Sands and I thought the underside of the skypark they were constructing was really nicely textured.

So that ends my first cycling experience to Marina Bay. Considering where to go next, maybe Sembawang or all the way to East Coast. It's kinda disappointing that I can't cycle to places and lock my bike somewhere to explore/enjoy that place. Have heard how dangerous it is to leave nice bikes chained up as they will probably be stolen. Let's see when I'll go for my next ride.

No comments: