Sunday, June 11, 2006

Review: Cars



Watched CARS, the new movie from Pixar, a couple of days ago. Was supposed to go buy something, but ended up having to wait for it to arrive so I decided to catch the sneak preview of CARS.

I was kinda disappointed in the movie. Not that it wasn't good. I guess on its own merits, it would be a decent movie. The animation was good and the story had the usual elements of a Pixar cartoon. But when I put it side by side with the recent Pixar flicks like Incredibles & Finding Nemo, Cars is a distant third.

Maybe it's the subject matter. (1) I'm not a car-type person. I can't tell the difference between a Honda & a Toyota for that matter. Don't talk about Ferraris and Porches. (Ok lar.. I guess I should be able to identify the distinct Porche car design). (2) I'm also not much into racing. Sure, I enjoyed movies like Initial D and I like games like Ridge Racer & Burnout. But this kinda race-around-the-track-300-times type of race is pretty YAWN for me. (3) I just don't find a talking car interesting. Animals? sure. Fish? yeah. Ogres? Why not. Cars? HUH???

Well, let's put it this way. Cars is the first Pixar movie where I actually fell asleep half-way through. And in all honesty, I wasn't even tired.

No comments: