Monday, May 01, 2006

Reviews

Wow, didn't even realize it's been a week since I last updated my blog. Must admit that I've been spending most of my weekends and evenings on WoW. Oh wells.

Last Sunday, caught The Sentinel. Dunno really why I went to watch it. It was probably the movie at the most convenient time. Anyway, it's a pretty by-the-book kinda detective-thriller movie. It's about this the secret service who works around the clock to protect the US president and how they suddenly discover that someone among them is a mole. Of course, there's the usual 'innocent-man-get-framed' story. It's watchable. But no big deal. Of some interest would be that Eva Longoria (of Desperate Housewives fame) is in this movie. Sadly, she really is there just for the pretty-vase effect. Within less than 1 minute of screen time, we have a close-up shot of her posterior... aka buttocks. She tries lar, but it's hard to forget her bimbo role in DW. I don't think her movie career is gonna go anywhere.



Next up, I caught The Wild yesterday with some old friends. Yes, everyone is comparing this movie to Madagascar and who can blame them. The similarities are uncanny. However, although I don't really think Madagascar was that great, I think that overall, it's a better movie than The Wild. [Characters] The characters in the wild just aren't very memorable. In fact, quite forgettable. The one I remember most, is probably the Koala. They even have penguins in The Wild. But the commando penguins in Madagascar can easily put a shot through the heads of The Wild's penguin. There's also this scary pigeon dance routine. [Bad Guys/Herd] Madagascar had the cute watchamacallits. The Wild had these Wilderbeests who were really painful to watch. Their dance was sooooooo bad. Quite a turn-off. [Song] Who can forget the 'move it, move it' dance from Madagascar. The Wild tries to duplicate it with their own song.. but I have no idea what is the song and frankly, I have no desire to find out.

Overall, The Wild ain't too bad. There are some good jokes (but mostly related to sh***ing or f**ting). On the whole, Disney better be glad they still have Pixar on their side. With Chicken Little and The Wild, Disney is showing that they are pretty much losing their touch.



And finally, today, I caught Ice Age 2. The movie was ok. But in my opinion, they should simply do an hour-long story with Scat (the prehistoric squirrel). All the parts in between were ok, but no big deal. The parts with Scat were pretty funny. I guess most of you have already watched this one. OK lar. Worth watching. But I think the sequel should simply be Ice Age 3: Scat's story.

No comments: