Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Today I went to Adelphi to start doing some serious shopping for my new Home Theatre System. I only managed to visit one shop but I can already see that I'm gonna have a pretty hard time deciding over the next couple of weeks. The first pic below is that of the B&W MT20, the first system I heard today. It was really quite nice. The sound was crisp and the the surround was fantastic. The speakers themselves looked really cool. But the speakers alone cost almost $2600. I asked to hear something less expensive and was shown the Mordaunt-Short Genie speakers (the second pic). When I heard them, I thought I really liked the sound. It was less crisp and had a nice full sound to it. Maybe the earlier speakers had a higher treble setting. Anyway, I'm not exactly a expert at hearing stuff, so I can pretty much only go for what I feel lor. The Genie speakers cost $1700, a whopping $900 cheaper than the B&W.

Actually, a couple of days ago, I went to the shop where I had bought my projector. They had offered me a neat package but the speakers and amplifier were like not very branded lor. I'm sorry, but after some consideration, I think I'm quite a brand-junkie. I don't think I'm gonna be happy if I save a few hundred bucks and got a 'brand-less' system... sigh... I know, I sound a little shallow.

Well, I hope to go visit a few other shops in Adelphi. My friends have recommended I listen to some Klipsch or KEF speakers. Quite fun to go shopping for a Home Theatre system, but it's sure gonna hurt my wallet...

No comments: