Sunday, September 04, 2005

Superstar Discussions

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post your tag concerning Kelvin Tan Wei Lian's victory over Kelly Poon.

Frankly, I know there'll be no end to the discussions. It's all a matter of opinions and everyone is entitled to his won. It's like the eternal argument of which is the best: the PS2, Xbox or Nintendo Gamecube?

So, my take on it is simply this.

Did Wei Lian win coz of sympathy votes? Maybe. We'll never know why people voted for him. Did he being blind play a part? Yes I think so too. Does he have a good voice? While it is arguable if he has the BEST voice, I think most would agree that he does have a good voice. So did he deserve to win Superstar? To me, yes (heh, coz I'm a Kelvin supporter lar!). Ultimately, he managed to garner over 340 000 votes. As reported by Mediacorp, Wei Lian consistently has got more voters who voted fewer times whereas Kelly had fewer voters who tend to vote many more times each. Hence, Wei Lian does have more fan support than Kelly. And I think that while his voice is able to move many of us, the more important fact is that he also does serve as an inspiration to many. Maybe that's unfair. But hey, if kelly can make use of her 'mobility' and beauty (both physical characteristics) to sway voters to her side, why is it unfair that people can be swayed coz of Kelvin's physical characteristic of being blind?

OK lar, like I said, I think there will be no end to this discussion. This is my two cents worth lor. For those who disagree, sorry lor. Feel free to take it up in the Superstar Forum in Channel U website.

No comments: