Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Universal Studios Singapore - Pretty Good!

Today was my first visit to Universal Studios Singapore. I've been pretty keen to see how USS compares to the other Universal Studios in LA and in Osaka. While I must admit the marketing efforts have made me quite excited to visit the place, I was somewhat uncertain if USS would really be as good as her older counterparts.

I tried a few rides and I think they are pretty good. The few which I tried and thought was pretty worth queuing up for were the Mummy Returns indoor coaster (a new ride for me) and the Jurassic Park water ride (similar to the ones in the US, but still pretty good). It was a real pity that the Battlestar Galactica duelling coasters were still closed. I'm pretty sure it would have been one helluva ride. There was also a new Madagascar ride which I don't think is meant to be an exciting one, but still, it's something to look forward to the next time I visit.

Just as good as the rides (if not better) were the entertainment. I went for a few of the shows and thoroughly enjoyed them. From the Shrek 4D short movie to the Donkey Comedy Show to the Monster Rock Concert, it was a really fun experience. I was also pleasantly surprised that there was an outdoor performance of songs from Hairspray! Really fun stuff! I think the shows alone will justify me visiting USS again.

All throughout the place, there were quite a few fun character picture moments. I admit I got a bit silly and started taking pictures with Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, the Madagascar Penguins... seriously, I can't believe I actually posed for pics with them. But it was memorable.

Another nice thing was for now, USS was still giving out $10 meal vouchers and $5 shopping vouchers to all visitors. $10 is pretty sufficient for a decent meal in USS and although $5 buys you about 2/3 of a key chain, hey... $5 off is better than $0.

On the whole, I think I really did enjoy USS. I'm seriously considering buying the annual pass for $318 which will allow me to visit the park unlimited number of times each year. For those who have yet to visit USS, here are some pics to get you tempted...

On the right.. the duelling coasters... For my next visit... if I can conquer my fear of roller coasters.









Bought myself a Battlestar Galactica T-shirt and the obligatory Universal Studios Singapore T-shirt.
And what visit to a theme park would be complete without a key chain... lol...

No comments: