Saturday, March 07, 2009

Big changes

The last month has been quite exciting but it's a little tough to blog about.  Basically, I left my previous company and have joined another company to continue organizing school tours.  Really can't say much, especially since nowadays, whatever you say on blogs can come back to bite you in the behind.  I just read about how a woman overseas (in UK I think) was sacked from her job because she expressed that the was bored at her job in her blog/facebook.  

Anyway, I think the main thing which has impacted me is again how the business world can be pretty brutal.  That's why in terms of real-life experiences, I think all teachers should have the opportunity to experience life in the private sector at some point in their life.  This really helps us to share such experiences with our students, the majority of which will probably enter the private sector instead of the public.  Regardless of how you think people behave and what you believe they are, things can dramatically change in the face of business decisions.  This is something I have yet to come to grasp with.  I guess in many ways, I still hold on to the idealism which I had when I was a teacher.  I know the world is not all black and white and there are many shades of grey.  But there are still things that are quite black and white to me.  Sorry for sounding so cryptic but even as I am trying to put my thoughts into this post, I am carefully watching my words to avoid getting anybody into trouble.  Perhaps it might be better to leave my thoughts within my mind with regards to this matter.

Anyway, I am temporarily with this new company as I evaluate what I will be doing in the near future.  It's been 2.5years since I left the education service and I must say that there is a little itch to return to it in some manner.  However, at the same time, there are some exciting opportunities open to me in the travel business.  So I guess it's a question of things being in the right time and right place.

OK, let's switch frequencies.  

Another reason why I've not been blogging here is... I've kinda been blogging somewhere else. Lolz.  I'm not ready to share the other blog yet.. maybe in the near future.  

Movies.

I've still been catching my regular staple of movies.  The best movie so far this year has to go to ROLE MODELS.  It's hilarious.  With all the heavy academy awards nominated movies being screened in the last 2 months, RM was a breath of much needed fresh air.  Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott were really good in this movie.  They were much more controlled and turned in more palatable performances as comepared to their other over-the-top characters in other movies.   Two big highlights for me. (1) The world of LAIR.  Being a WOW player, this real-life version of an MMORPG was hilarious and made me feel almost embarassed for playing wow.  Almost makes me want to start my own loser-world here in Singapore. (2) Jane Lynch.  She is sooooooooo caustically funny in this movie.  She's the woman-boss in the movie 'The 40-yr old Virgin'.  Here, she plays the director of a teen-mentor organization.  For me, she stole the show.  Thanks to her, I may never eat another sausage bun again.  If you are really curious, check out these two Youtubelinks (1), (2).  Be warned... mildy M18....  If you are old enough (the movie's rated NC16) and need a good laugh, give Role Models a try.

No comments: