Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CNY Again.. Snooze....

It's that time of year again... when pretty much 90% of Singapore shuts down to celebrate CNY. I was out at Vivocity on CNY Eve on Sunday and it was mildly depressing to see shops shutting down at 4pm. Other than the sumptuous reunion dinner, the rest of CNY is usually pretty boring. So this year, I decided to try something pretty uncharacteristic of me and go try the HSBC Treetop Walk! Below are the pics of this historic event.

I felt that while the Treetop walk was kinda interesting, it was a little underwhelming. I guess when you take the effort to walk about an hour to the bridge, I was expecting something a little more awesome. The bridge was not really that high and the view wasn't that breathtaking. It was nice. But not 'oh-my-goodness-take-my-breath-away' nice. Thought it would have been awesomer if the bridge was at least much higher. But since Singapore is pretty flat, I guess we don't have many valleys/treetops to build a taller bridge. The other small complain is the walk itself. After going on some breathtaking trails like the Kikuchi Gorge in Kumamoto, it's hard to be excited with the MacRitchie Trails. I kept wishing there would be some river or waterfall to add some life/movement to the place. The good thing was the weather was nice - sunny but not too hot, and the place was quite empty. In fact, I think 9 out of 10 people I met were foreigners. Guess Singaporeans were busy with CNY festivities. I particularly like Jelutong Tower. In the end, I think the treetop walk is a nice experience, worth at least one try. BUt I doubt I will ever make the effort to walk all the way there again. At least I'd tried it once!

Here are some pics of my first every voluntary CNY forest walk.

Entrance to the trail from Venus Road.


Monkeys. Just like any normal Singaporean, the sight of a monkey was quite exciting.


So after about an hour, I finally reached the entrance of the Treetop walk.


View as I entered the bridge.

View from the middle of the bridge.

Here's a pic looking back when I reached the end of the bridge.

Jelutong Tower - an observation tower with a nice view.

A view of MacRitchie Reservoir as I exited the trail from Jelutong Tower.

No comments: