Thursday, April 10, 2008

Patapon (PSP) & Hot Shots Golf 5 (PS3)

My new distractions.... PATAPON (for PSP) & HOT SHOTS GOLF 5 (for PS3).

I hesitated with buying Patapon when it first game out coz I couldn't figure out what kind of game it was. It struck me as a 'lemmings-type' of game so I wasn't to interested at first. But recently, Play-Asia had an excellent sale and I manged to get the game (together with two other oldies) for less than S$35, shipping included! (I bought Caesar IV for the pc for S$7!!! Game shops are still selling the game at over S$60!).

Anyway, Patapon is an excellent game. It's basically a rhythm type game where you hit the PSP buttons in certain rhythms (so far, i've only need to learn 4 rhythms) which will then decide how the little characters (called Patapons) will behave. It's like playing the drum on a dragon boat or the war drums in those olden battle scenes. The animation is quirky and fun and the game is simple to pick up but kinda hard to get the rhythm just right. I've only started playing the game for a couple of hours and I'm hooked. If you like rhythm type games, Patapon is not to be missed.

Here's a silly trumpet mini-game where you copy the tree's rhythm to get him to drop stuff from his branches. Much like collecting dandruff. heh.

Below is an awesome battle scene which I have to reach. Given the interesting variety of troops, it's gonna take me some time to reach such a level I'm sure.


OK, my other distraction is Hot Shots Golf 5 for the PS3. I've never really liked golf video games. Always thought they were kinda stupid. But after playing the demo on the ps3 last year, I couldn't wait for the english version to be released. Maybe I'm getting... old... sigh.. but that's another story... I find HSG5 pretty relaxing to play and I really like the cartoony style graphics. It's not too difficult to pick up the game either.

The characters are really funny and animated very well. Love the little touches like all the special effects when you get the timing just right!

My slight complain is that I believe the graphics for the scenery can probably be much more awesome and realistic given the power of the ps3. But, then again, the game as a whole is interesting and the graphics do fit the style overall.

So there you have it. Patapon to keep me occupied on the bus/train. Hot Shots Golf to keep me occupied in my room. :)

No comments: