Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Number 23

Today, I used my VIP card for the first time! I kinda felt like a VIP as I handed my card over to the ticketing staff but that feeling quickly disappeared coz the girl appeared to not know what to do when my card appeared to get rejected by the computer. But oh well, they sorted it out and I was happily issued my first (of many) free ticket!

The Number 23 is a show that kinda tries too hard. When I saw the beginning credits, I saw that it was a Joel Schumacher movie - the same guy who did stuff like the previous Batman movies and Phone Booth (which wasn't too bad actually) - so I thought the show might not be too bad.

Jim Carey tries his hand at another serious role and this time, I think it was fairly believable. Of course I half expected some weird contorted facial expressions from him but I was pleasantly disappointed coz it never came.

The story revolved around the number 23 and how there are people in the world who are 'cursed' by the number. Everything in their lives (like Jim Carey's character) is ruled by the number 23. Like how he is born on February the 3rd (2-3) and how the letters in his name add up to the number 23 after doing some division, etc. It's an interesting take on the paranoia of these people but I thought the director just doesn't really exploit this enough. I never really felt sorry for the character and at times, felt kinda bored.

This was quite a ho-hum movie which I think could have been a pretty manic ride if the subject matter was handled with more intensity. Here, it ends up more like a thriller as Jim Carey tries to solve a murder which seems to be connected to the number 23.


An interesting bit of info... look at the ticket stub. I was in seat 18 in cinema 5.... 18+5=.....

I watched the 2.40pm show on 3 April 2007. 2 + 4 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 7 + 1 (1 person.. me) = ....23!!!

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! (:P)

No comments: