Friday, May 08, 2009

Star Trek - A MUST SEE!

I think I might need to seek counselling.

The new Star Trek movie has only been released for 6 days and I have already watched it three times.  Yep... THREE.  

Yes, it's that good. 

JJ Abrams has done an extremely commendable job in rebooting the Star Trek franchise for a new generation.  The movie is accessible to both fans and non-fans and there's plenty of action, humour and drama for everyone.  I'm impressed with how he had handled each character, giving them plenty of personality and presence. 

At the same time, despite the character-building, the action almost never stops.  Within the first 10minutes of the film, I could already feel my eyes tearing up and the sacrifice.  Even at the third viewing, it was still a touching moment, handled with much class.  My favourite dramatic scene has got to be the one where Captain Pike challenged the young and rash Kirk to join Starfleet.

The special effects for this movie are also pretty impressive.  From the massive battles to the remodelled USS Enterprise, almost every scene filled me with a sense of wonder and awe.  My favourite effects scene is probably that of the Enterprise rising up from the rings of Saturn.  

Of course, to the true trekkie, there are plenty of plot holes to pick on.  But I think the beauty of this movie is that when you are watching it, you get so caught up with the story and people that you don't really think or care too much about the few inconsistencies.  Yep, it's that good.

So if you haven't caught this movie, please do yourself a favour and go watch it.  I strongly recommend Grand Cathay cinema for this coz of the THX sound system and Digital projection.  I've caught it at three different cinemas (Grand Cathay, GV Max and Iluma Bugis) and trust me when I say Grand Cathay offers the best experience for this movie.  :)

Now... when will be going for my FOURTH screening.... 
  
The original USS Enterprise... over 40 year old!

The new USS Enterprise... all iMac-fied!

No comments: