Monday, July 07, 2008

Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War

One of the recent comics I've really enjoyed is Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War. These two hardcover collections are a great read, especially for Green Lantern fans like me.

I've always enjoyed reading GL. I mean, come on, having a ring which can create anything you want just based on your thoughts? Which kid can resist such a gift! I remember many happy memories reciting the famous rhyme to charge my imaginary ring in my imaginary lantern... :P

Anyway, GL:TSCW is basically about how the Green Lanterns' greatest nemisis, Sinestro, decides to form a yellow lantern corp to strike fear into all the Green Lanterns. This is really a war on the cosmic scale. For a comic, there's a surprising number of gruesome killings shown in the pages. Just take a look at the cover art below, with all the impalings.

I liked the story, but at times, I did get lost among the sub-plots. But the main plot of how The Sinestro Corps drive the Guardians to amend the no-kill law and then to how the different coloured rings are formed kept me going.

The art is pretty good too, with the exception of the odd issue here and there.

Since Hal Jordan returned as the Green Lantern, it's been a great ride. But as with all comic cycles, I guess it's gonna get boring soon as they run ot of original stories to tell.

Until then, 'In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight, let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's Light!'. Heh. Yes, I couldn't resist it.






No comments: